Over the years, considerable effort has been invested in improving the educational attainment of people worldwide, especially as part of the implementation of the Millennium Development Goals and the Sustainable Development Goals. However, the enormous progress achieved in raising levels of education, especially among women and girls, has not translated into corresponding improvements in labour market outcomes.
Skills mismatching is a common concern of policy-makers, employers and workers. It is a recurring theme in vocational education and skills development, with many policy initiatives launched to address various forms of the phenomenon. Where evidence-based skills are concerned, policy-making statistics on various forms of skill mismatching are needed. Building on its long experience in …
More than 935 million workers in the world have jobs that don’t match their educational level: 72% of them (677 million) are under-educated for their jobs, while the remaining 28% (258 million) are over-educated. This new data in ILOSTAT covers 114 countries, which means that the actual global figures are probably much higher.